by Shanice Miranda, Cora Health.
When the weather begins to turn and your grandmother is trailing behind you with a thick, dark jam on a spoon, are you the one to run away? We insist that you do not have to fear this concentrated gooey substance as it is jam-packed with irrefutable benefits. Chyawanprash is an Ayurvedic herbal remedy that dates back to the legend of Chyawan Rishi. It was concocted by the royal physicians during the Vedic era to enhance the strength and longevity of sage Chyawan Rishi. But what is this mysterious, powerful substance? It is a highly concentrated formulation with over 40 different Ayurvedic herbs and spices that can be used to effectively supplement one's diet. Through the ages, this has been utilized to balance all three doshas- Vata, Pitta and Kapha. How does this ancient tonic act nearly, magical? All are owed to the phytochemicals present in it like vitamin C. (1)
Some of the other benefits that Chyawanprash, can impart as a 'neutraceutical' are:
1. It Aids Healthy Metabolism And Digestion
Chyawanprash can be taken to keep gastrointestinal issues at bay. It allows the proper breakdown of fats and protein. Regular bowel movements can also be targeted with this solution.
2. Manages Respiratory Diseases
This natural formulation can be used to fight respiratory illnesses like asthma, tuberculosis, cough and cold.
3. It Contains Nootropic Properties
Chyawanprash has fascinating effects on the brain- it stimulates the brain and relaxes the central nervous system. This gives it the ability to reduce stress and insomnia.
4. It Improves Heart Health
This product can support the cardiac system in terms of rhythm, blood circulation and efficient functioning. It augments the structure and function of the heart and prevents harmful ailments.
5. It Supports The Endocrine System
This remedy may control the flow of reproductive hormones which has many positive effects on virility and fertility.
6. It Has Anti-Aging Properties
The antioxidants enriched in each element of this substance prohibit cell damage and regenerate tissues and bones.
7. It Is Very Diabetes-Friendly
This is because Chyawanprash maintains blood sugar levels. It has been reported to reduce the concentration of detrimental cholesterol, triglycerides and low-density lipoproteins.
8. It Strengthens Muscles And Bones
The regular consumption of Chyawanprash increases calcium absorption that improves muscle and bone strength.
9. It Is Good For Skin And Hair
All the powerful herbs present in this product have natural detoxifying abilities. This offers a clearer complexion and better hair growth.
10. It Acts As An Overall Immunity Booster
The blend of these herbs and spices has significant quantities of vitamin C, which is one of the building blocks for the immune system. It also has anti-microbial properties that decrease the risk of contracting infections.
11. It Helps In Weight Loss
For 10 grams of Chyawanprash, a mere 35 calories are produced. This makes a suitable aid for your weight loss journey.
From the list, we can see that it has extensive advantages for our well-being. (2) These are a few of the ingredients that are brought together to make the spicy, sour and slightly sweet Chyawanprash.
- Amla: This is the main ingredient that is one of the best sources of vitamin C. It naturally strengthens immunity, digestive health and prevents excess weight gain. (3)
- Almonds: Dry fruits like this have plenty of vitamin E, magnesium and phytic acid that may control blood sugar levels and cholesterol. (4)
- Neem: Popular for its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. This herb is employed in Ayurveda for liver and skin disorders too. (5)
- Kesar: This luscious spice may be consumed to balance the Vata and Pitta doshas. It has proven to be good for the skin and health conditions like asthma. (6)
- Tulsi: This has the potential to relieve respiratory illness, extreme blood sugar, skin disorders and symptoms of flu are a few of the reasons that this plant is gaining popularity. (7)
- Jaggery: Improves digestion, detoxification, and can relieve the symptoms of menstruation such as cramps and mood swings. This natural sweetener allows you to indulge in a more health-conscious way. (8)
- Ghee: Ghee generally benefits Vata and Pitta dosha. It is known to support a healthy heart and digestion. (9)
- Sesame oil: This is a great product to reduce body heat and is thus suitable for Vata dosha. (10)
- Cardamom: Your heart, liver and blood pressure can be supported with this spice. (11) It may be consumed to assist with weight loss.
How To Use Chyawanprash:
The usage of this medicinal combination of plants is dependent on age, general health, body type, etc. Hence, an Ayurvedic doctor or physician must always be consulted before the intake of any substance.
Generally, it is recommended that the dosage of Chyawanprash does not interfere with your regular appetite. For healthy adults, 12-28 g of Chyawanprash can be taken with 100-250 ml of milk in the morning before the first meal. (12) Patients with asthma or some other respiratory illness should consume this with warm water instead of milk.
Who knew that this gooey paste was a powerhouse for such amazing health benefits? It's no wonder that this product is one of India's most sold natural medicines. One incredible product available out there is manufactured by Veda. Their Chyawanprash is low in calories and free from processed sugars. What’s more is that this was inspired from their grandmother’s original formulation which was tried and tested by family and friends over years and years. Veda currently is also developing and launching more formulations in the wellness category to make Ayurveda a way of life and not just a science for when you are ill. After all, good health is an investment and not an overnight magic pill!